Thursday, August 25, 2011

Making a Wand

While taking the dogs out for a walk today I came across a nice sized stick laying in the yard. Since I'd been toying with idea of making a wand, i made sure my boy (lil' Eros our puppy) was distracted and I quickly thanked the goddess and picked it up. It felt good in my hand and i could feel my excitement growing. So now I am going to start making a wand.

The first things first, I am going to skin all the bark of it it, and shape it. Once i do that I will trim it to the traditional length (From elbow to wrist), then i will go thru my collection of precious and semi-precious stones to find one that seems to fit with my wand to affix to the tip (I have an emerald and an amythist already in my mind.

Then next step will be to sand down the wood and make it as smooth as possible. After that is done, the stone will be affixed along with any other ornamentation that i want to add to the want (I am thinking of maybe some run work and a dragon charm) The last thing that will be done will be to varnish or put some sort of finish onto the want to protect it. At that time i can also think about adding other items such as feathers, colorful sting, silver/gold/brass wire, or ribbons.

I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment